Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downloading Subspace
When new people download spaceships, they are not able to hit "server refresh" and see chaos/league zone. They will not be able to play unless they add some custom zone info and search manually. Is there any plan in place to fix this? I know we all say that Subspace is dead and yada yada, but old players can't even re-log in because they could't find the server. Serious concern, not criticism. I appreciate all the work that is done behind the scenes.
I confirm and support Joe Jr.'s suggestion that something urgently needs to be done for users (re)installing Continuum.

Personally, I also experienced a related phenomenon just yesterday, by trying to log in from a windows laptop that I had not used for months to log in to Subspace. I was able to log in, but then the only zones that showed alive for me were Trench Wars and a couple of other zones, with no clear way of getting to Chaos/League Zone. Admittedly, cross-server chat worked, so IF (I do) someone has a friend who happens to be online at the same time on an old chat channel, they might be helped, but that's not an acceptable scenario, even to get old players to become active again.

So yes, this needs fixing, urgently!

Sincerely,

Solar Hydro

Yea, this needs to be handled now. I had to talk Jae through getting into Chaos zone yesterday. Even with what I thought was the correct directory servers he ended up having to add the zone manually as a custom zone.

The only reason he got in is because he had someone on a chat who could help him. How many others stop trying?
It may just have to fall to whoever runs the website to zip up the new zone list with the executable and put a readme.txt in there - then provide the download as the zip. I don't know how easy it would be to re-create the current executable to include the updated zone list. If someone knows how to do that it would be the most user-friendly way to handle it so people trying to come back don't just give up.

Quote:<div>
Personally, I also experienced a related phenomenon just yesterday, by trying to log in from a windows laptop that I had not used for months to log in to Subspace. I was able to log in, but then the only zones that showed alive for me were Trench Wars and a couple of other zones, with no clear way of getting to Chaos/League Zone.

</div>

Trench Wars was updated using DNS, so I am guessing chaos never set that up. (that is what the ss:// links in the zone descriptions are for)
Thanks for everyone reporting this. I'm not sure why this became broken after the server move - it was working correctly at first, and you could add the zone without a problem.

I'm working on a solution...

--hallu

For the record this is the registry key for the directory servers:

<div> </div>
<div>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Continuum\Options]</div>
<div>"DirectoryServer"="sscentral.sscuservers.net ssdir.playsubspace.com sscentral.trenchwars.org"</div>
<div> </div>
<div>...and you could populate a [SUBSPACEDIR]zone.dat with the current zones.</div>
Thank you hallu! Super appreciate your work.