Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make pracs interesting again
First of all I'm not a coder and can't make bots so this is just a spurt of ideas on how we could make everyday pracs more fun assuming we have someone who can change the bots or make new ones. Pracs nowadays are only really interesting when you are playing squad vs squad and some of these ideas can even help certain players understand how to play the game properly.

These games could all be played within the same basic setup as a normal 4v4 game with the same ship settings. Possibly same bot with just different game modes that you can chose/vote on before the prac starts. Also, the bot should allow players to just get in line and be assigned randomly to a team to minimize the possibility of stacking.

Protect the king
- At the start of the game one player on each team is announced to everyone as "The King".
- Both teams goal is to kill the king three times to win the game.

Hunt down the gimp (if gimp is offensive to someone we can call it the cunt)
- At the start one player on each team secretly becomes "The Gimp" which is announced only to that player, which he of course can tell his team.
- The other teams goal is to find and kill him and when he is dead another player on the same team becomes the gimp.
- Kill the gimp three times to win the game.

All ships (this has been used somewhere, forgot where)
- At the start of a game everyone starts in a warbird. When you die you get a jav, etc until you are in the shark. The first team to kill any shark wins.

Assassination
- Starts out as a normal prac. At intervals one player on each team becomes the target which is announced to everyone. The team that kills the other target first gets a point. First to 3,5,10? points wins.

Point based game
Not sure how some of this would be possible but it's an idea. Make a points based game instead of a set number of lives per player. You get points for certain basic goals. For example:

- Forcing a rep, 5 points
- Killing someone, 10 points
- Killing someone who still has reps, 20 points
- Teamkill, -15 points
- etc.

This can then be combined into combos. For example:

- Bonus multiplier (* 1.2) for every team member who does damage related to a kill.
- Two kills within a certain time range, * 1.5 for each kill (Bot announce: DOUBLE KILL!).
- Three kills within a certain time range, * 2.0 for each kill (Bot announce: MULTI KILL!).
- Four kills within a certain time range, you automatically win the game. (Bot announce: GOD LIKE!)
- Get everyone on the other team down to 0 reps before scoring a kill, the next kill then scores * 3.
- etc.

Rewards could also be added, example:
- A player who alone scores a double kill, is rewarded with super/shields for 60 seconds. (Bot announce: RAMPAGE!)
- For every three reps you force alone, you get rewarded with an extra rep.
- etc.

First team to a fixed number of points (100?) wins.

Thoughts, other ideas? The point is like I said to get rid of the tediousness of normal random pracs, while still allowing players to work and better themselves in different aspects of 4v4 games. These are just off the top of my head and needs to be tweaked and tested of course and like I said some of it might not even be possible. If anyone with some bot coding skills wants to proceed with this or something similar I will gladly help out in any way I can.

/Arc
Congrats Arctos, this is pretty creative stuff, much of which I think is worth a try if it can be implemented.
Keep the juices flowing!

Solar Hydro, Captain SFE(SFA)
I was looking forward to these kind of varying game types already long time ago. Much like what Trench Wars was having ages ago in where you could simple vote on what kind of game you want to play next: javs, wb elim etc.

I've got to give props to Captor for holding events on Sundays after the league matches, although I find them way too sporadic to really get excited.

Might be too late for this now though. Player base has gotten so small that it's hard to even get 8 players for a normal prac until midnight (euro time). Some of the game types should be designed so that you can play them with as little as 4 players or so. And statistics are a vital part of any game; we all have a little Candyman in us whether we want to admit it or not.
Those look like fun. I agree with TH, stats are a must these days. Have to do everything possible to keep what little players that still play.
What would it take (clearly more than bot tweaks) to develop an arena in which bullets, bombs, thors, bursts, shrap (and whatever else) would damage all ships equally (enemy and friendly)?

That would totally change game dynamics.

Worth a try? Feasible?

(01-09-2015, 11:09 PM)SolarHydro Wrote:  What would it take (clearly more than bot tweaks) to develop an arena in which bullets, bombs, thors, bursts, shrap (and whatever else) would damage all ships equally (enemy and friendly)?

That would totally change game dynamics.

Worth a try? Feasible?

I've been gone a while, but maybe this is something ASSS can handle.