Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question of the week #1
I love Rage, but picking him as a team player?

Sterling would not have won if Plare hadn't attached to Rage and then repped for him...

KN may not have been as good back then, but at his top (pre-injury :'() he was an obsessive beast.

I will have to mention Deesnider, who imo. was best javelin player.

Quote:<div>

Sterling would not have won if Plare hadn't attached to Rage and then repped for him...

KN may not have been as good back then, but at his top (pre-injury :'() he was an obsessive beast.

</div>

What people don't realize is Sterling evolved as a top team with the same people over the course of like 6 years. If Rage wanted to join Intrepid or Assassins at their prime then he could have - and would have done just as good as Dingo/Travis. Instead he decided to play with friends and stuck his neck out a lot in games to try and make big plays.

As for Kingnewbie, the reason I point out that he wasn't as impactful back then was because the talent pool was larger - subsequently making his light in league a bit dimmer. Now we have a population of like 80 and he sticks out more because the talent pool is substantially smaller.
Dacrath/Tertain, nismo, Scythe, and Slayer of men! Old Anarchist team FTW

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="AhmedF" data-cid="290706" data-time="1399562854">
<div>

</div>

What people don't realize is Sterling evolved as a top team with the same people over the course of like 6 years. If Rage wanted to join Intrepid or Assassins at their prime then he could have - and would have done just as good as Dingo/Travis. Instead he decided to play with friends and stuck his neck out a lot in games to try and make big plays.

As for Kingnewbie, the reason I point out that he wasn't as impactful back then was because the talent pool was larger - subsequently making his light in league a bit dimmer. Now we have a population of like 80 and he sticks out more because the talent pool is substantially smaller.

</div>
</blockquote>

I was on Sterling originally. I played with FV/Ten Tigers/Seismic in wz.
I know you probably did not intend this, but you make it sound like Sterling were bereft of skilled pilots.  And while a decent number of their better pilots imo developed their skills primarily as members of Sterling (BfB/Rage, Plareplane, varsity, & nine), I would argue that they relied heavily on pilots like Seismic, Maimer, and to a lesser extent Primos and life who were already established as top pilots elsewhere before joining Sterling.  As good as Rage was, I'd rather have a pilot like bhang or Mop in (speaking of which, where is the love for bhang?) -- of course, maybe I'm just resentful of Rage for keeping me off Sterling by threatening to quit (and getting Ice & nine? to join him) unless Five Venoms kicked me when I rejoined after Hemp Lordz.  I'd like to believe Sterling could have been successful much sooner if not for that.  oh well, fortunately I think we've all grown up and mellowed out since then.

</div>
Although there isn't as much competition at the top, I think that today's top players are way better than those in 2002. This is why I believe we should be looking at top players from 2005-2008 because in that period we still had a large player base, while resolutions and connections were a lot better than before that.

Since I retired after season 12 and only came back last season, I've missed quite a lot of players on the top of their game.

My dream team would be: Mushroom, Nacre, Chemical and Rage (with Mop as a captain and Travis as a sub).

All of them besides Chemical (and Rage only on season 12) used to be on Intrepid between seasons 9 and 12 and as far as I remember, we went pretty much undefeated for 4 consecutive seasons (in a time, when league was still pretty popular).

</div>
good choices Tuna
WTF Get off my lawn!

</div>

he was good but Cookiemonster was just as good or better imo
WTF Get off my lawn!

</div>

Dee used to be great. One of the best. It's a shame he only played for Addicts and retired around season 7. Had his career extended further, people would have given him a lot more recognition.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Captor" data-cid="290708" data-time="1399563160">
<div>

</div>

he was good but Cookiemonster was just as good or better imo

</div>
</blockquote>

CookieM had a strong jav. But, he was difficult to play with. He never ended up in requiem's starting 4.

8 each

From the "old days" - Mushroom, TSL, Travis, kboom, Postman, Chemical in imba shark, TerranX, Garcon

From the "newer days" - Dingo, Rage, aiti, Three, Kingnewbie (pre injury), Maimer, tak, pilo

Neophytes would whoop some serious ass.

</div>

+1 for Three's well-deserved self-praise. I would have included you in my best-of-all-times lineup, but your <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">h</span>e<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">yday came when I was already pretty much retired. Although, I could say the same about Rage as well.</span>
Chemical, tak, Zombiebobie, Mushroom would be my top 4.  With Nacre and Tunahead filling up the rest.  All are probably interchangable.  Travis i think is one of the top players all time but imo didn't always make an impact in 4v4.  Rage top dueler.

Also just on a side note i want to point out that I made it to pro finals 6 out of 7 times from season 18-24 (2 on Unhallowed and 4 on Sterling).  Losing 5 times to a stacked Asssassins team Smile

A loose attempt at compiling a hierarchy based on all names submitted above, ratified by an offhand system of equal points if 4 names given, declining points for extras named as subs and caps and "also's". Joke submissions ignored. :

Top 4 - Travis (67.5), Rage (61.5), Dingo (48.5), Nacre/Wind (47.0)

- Mushroom, Chemical, aiti, Kingnewbie, Three

- TheVillageBike, Da Monkk, Garcon, Maimer

- Mop, Saiyan, Ra, Dagger Omeagasupreme, Spinoza, Dune, Tak

- bhang, Deesnider, Jae, Tunahead, ZombieBobie

- Death Artist, Blink, TSL, kboom, Postman, TerranX, pilo, Nme, Darkhosis, Babamonkey, D-Tox, Exorcist, Anamalech.

Now you oughta form hypothetical teams based on this player pool with the top 4 as captains! There's 39 to pick from there, 40 if you add Develop who got 30 pts, albeit all from himself, and admitted he would all need to be carried by Partsi.

One of the three most dangerous people in Subspace.
Nice compilation! Thanks NFS.

<div>Travis, malefactor, darkhosis, Garcon would be my very old school lineup.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Rage, nacre, three, Kingnewbie for my post year 2000 lineup.</div>
I change my answer to 4 Develops.

My top four would be:

life, emoDevs (that 19 hours later ninja edit), Digs, and kentasaurus

None of us would ever play.  We'd sit in spec and discuss at length which four pilots would make the best team of all time, then compare their in game prowess with our spec chat prowess to see which team was actually better at what they do.

Borax would be a good sub.