Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
continuum under a attack
and when we trace it back to them, it will be our turn to have some fun

(:

you know i just linked to this article that said continuum under attack by cheese Smile

...Axe

Well hallu at least you get a break monitoring the  zone for a bit? is this your longest break in the years since your return?
Quote:<div>
No news so far today... I'll post when I hear something substantive. Folks have mostly been doing a pretty good job of reporting on the situation (DoS attack on SSC servers).

I'm not sure the perpetrator(s) are aware they are committing a felony under US (and other country's) laws with significant mandatory jail time and fines associated with this crime. The host of the game server, which is not a small company, will not look on this attack lightly as they would not wish for any of their business to be affected.

This is a game that people hopefully have fun playing and talking in that is completely player run and funded - a number of us, myself included, pay money every month to keep the lights on.

The rules to be able to keep playing on these private servers are mostly pretty easy going - at least in Chaos you have to ignore copious warnings and break the rule(s) over and over to get banned for any length of time (except for actual hacking which we see maybe once or twice a year [which is technically difficult and never by regular players who, you know, want to keep playing]). Netbans from any zone are very infrequent and exactly two people have been netbanned this year from any zone.

The list of people that would do this is quite small. Does the perpetrator realize their situation? Do they really think the risk is worth it? Does the perpetrator really want a visit from the FBI? I'm not sure they are thinking very clearly about this.

--hallu

</div>

Sure hope we get pew pew spaceships back online but this post is hilarious. What are the damages? Who is footing the bill for this "investigation" into a game reverse engineered (basically stolen) made in 1994.... Pretty sure this is a free game. 

I would love to see the Interpol warrant for some kid in Finland or Korea who hacked this game as a joke. I can't wait to see this on CNN on Monday. LOL.

Edit: The host of this games server is not a small company? They won't look on this attack lightly? Do they take racial slurs lightly? How does this reflect on said company's image when people who run leagues tell others to go pick cotton? Yes I'm sure this company will be pursuing legal action and damages to its "image" after this event. Give me a fucking break dude. 

No one is claiming there will be a civil suit. You don't have to create financial "damages" to be committing a crime. A DOS attack on anyone's server machine is a crime, no matter if the company who owns it allows "racial slurs". You are confusing civil legal action with criminal legal action. Dude.

I am calm. I will remain calm. I am a calm person.

Oh btw: any squads who maintain mailing lists for their members, might like to shoot them all an eMail giving a precis of what's happened/happening, perhaps including some relevant forum thread links. Not everybody thinks to check forums, and it takes a cast iron stomach to enter an off-biller supership zone and ask the proles what's going on. Might help ensure player retention throughout this difficult emotional period.

Anyway, where was I? Oh.

One of the three most dangerous people in Subspace.
Such an attack is not localized to one server. It starts impacting other servers in the same data center too, those servers are unrelated to subspace.

I too doubt it will come to actual legal action though. Maybe if he keeps it up for a long while.

Superb doesn't give a shit or this would have been fixed by now, even if they did they are a bunch of clowns so it'll be a while.

From what I've heard, this was done in retaliation for some change in TW or someone got removed from some council..

If true - it's not really a shocker given the aggregate maturity level of players in that zone..

Great, it's the most popular zone - with miscreants and kiddies.

GG.

So sad, and stupid... Came back after 8 years to this shit... it's like nothing effing changed.

Sigh.

As up to this point that is all speculation really. Could be done by anyone with even the slightest hatred towards a zone, SSC or the game.
ballz
buttes and dongs

You are banned from SSC - the Subspace Central till 2014-11-21 16:50 GMT-6 BanId#554

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="hallucination" data-cid="289959" data-time="1396632619">
<div>
I'm not sure the perpetrator(s) are aware they are committing a felony under US (and other country's) laws with significant mandatory jail time and fines associated with this crime...

The list of people that would do this is quite small. Does the perpetrator realize their situation? Do they really think the risk is worth it? Does the perpetrator really want a visit from the FBI? I'm not sure they are thinking very clearly about this.

--hallu

</div>

Sure hope we get pew pew spaceships back online but this post is hilarious. What are the damages? Who is footing the bill for this "investigation" into a game reverse engineered (basically stolen) made in 1994.... Pretty sure this is a free game. 

I would love to see the Interpol warrant for some kid in Finland or Korea who hacked this game as a joke. I can't wait to see this on CNN on Monday. LOL.

Edit: The host of this games server is not a small company? They won't look on this attack lightly? Do they take racial slurs lightly? How does this reflect on said company's image when people who run leagues tell others to go pick cotton? Yes I'm sure this company will be pursuing legal action and damages to its "image" after this event. Give me a fucking break dude. 

</div>
</blockquote>

Ever heard of a scare tactic?
To clear up some confusion (some people don't know what they're talking about), the game wasn't hacked. 

Basically someone has been flooding the servers continuum's hosted on with dummy traffic, so much traffic that they aren't able to respond to legitimate traffic from actual players. Having the ability to do this requires some resources (botnet, idk) probably purchased with bitcoin or something somwhere in the deep dark internet.

Every single company on the internet would benefit from mitigating DoS attacks since it the effect isn't localized to the target. No one wants to carry dummy traffic on their pipes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

http://blog.cloudflare.com/understanding-and-mitigating-ntp-based-ddos-attacks

New info: The hosting company is on the case. This is a fairly major attack on their servers, and might take a while to fully resolve. No ETA as of yet.

The facts are that this person(s) has broken criminal laws that exist in a large number of countries and that there is collateral damage being done to companies and services other than just our little pew pew game. None of us can say what the repercussions for this person(s) might be and what resources might be leveraged in an effort to stop the damage and make sure it doesn't happen again. I imagine this person thinks they are untouchable, but is that really the case? There are many avenues along which consequences of various types could find their way back to this person(s).

This person isn't thinking clearly and I'm just trying to assist them in perhaps making wiser choices about the course of their life.

--hallu
hallu, could you start a temp zone of svs? you already have all the files required.

No one is claiming there will be a civil suit. You don't have to create financial "damages" to be committing a crime. A DOS attack on anyone's server machine is a crime, no matter if the company who owns it allows "racial slurs". You are confusing civil legal action with criminal legal action. Dude.

</div>
what b'hole said ^
WTF Get off my lawn!
There is a temporary solution in Chaos map now up (redownload servers and look for the SZ prefix).

I believe this is PsyOps' work. There's no bots, and subarenas exist (eg 4v4) but dont appear unless populated (cause no bots in them).

So just to feed the addiction, there is something out there.

Thanks PsyOps.

One of the three most dangerous people in Subspace.
PsyOps put up a server SZ Chaos / League Zone (you'll need to download the zone list) and I put a 4v4 bot up there (yes the scores are real) if leaguers want to prac. Remember to use !norating if you don't want your scores to count in the prac stats.

--hallu
Thanks PsyOps + Hallu! A bit laggier but same as ever.

what happen?

and WHO DID THIS TO US!?!?!?!