Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game for Low Population: Attackers/Defenders
Since we need at least 10 people to effectively play a real ASWZ flag game, we need something to play while we have fewer than that many players. So what if we just drilled attackers v. defenders?

The rules I've tentatively come up with go like this
  • Map consists of one ASWZ-style base.
  • Base contains one carryable flag, placed in the flag room (not turf flag).
  • Attackers spawn in the center, near the greens.
  • Defenders spawn in the flag room.
  • To win, Attackers must pick flag and drop it (hold for 60 seconds).
  • To win, Defenders must prevent Attackers from winning for 15 minutes.
  • After game is over, teams are switched and game starts again.
  • Defenders are given 60 seconds to set up before Attackers begin.
  • Map lasts for 60 minutes, then a vote occurs and map changes.

There are some other ideas I've had that I don't know are good or bad
  • What if the map was two bases, when the attackers got through one, they spawned at the end of that base / beginning of base 2. This allows the defenders time to regroup.
  • Freqs are balanced so that if they are not even, only defenders ever have fewer players. To make up for this, defenders get a robot terrier ship to help defend (cannot place too near to the flag).

What I like most about this idea is that it allows us to play ASWZ-style games without needing 10 people. 6 people (3v3) would essentially simulate a 6v6 game (3 attackers, 3 defenders).

What I don't like is the amount of programming that will be involved. I'm not sure I can have something of this magnitude done by this Sunday.

Please comment on this idea and let me know what you think! Additional ideas are always welcome!
Maybe recruiting techniques would be more profitable.

Changing the zone settings is like putting our bare ass in the air, for anyone to screw.

~Freak
There is that, of course. I was more thinking of this as a structured ASWZ game, Attackers vs. Defenders, as opposed to both teams having to field both attackers and defenders (difficult when there are only 3 players on your team). Once the zone reaches 5v5 or 6v6 it would automatically revert to a normal ASWZ game.
[quote name='hawkaloogie' post='245698' date='Apr 4 2009, 03:20 AM']There is that, of course. I was more thinking of this as a structured ASWZ game, Attackers vs. Defenders, as opposed to both teams having to field both attackers and defenders (difficult when there are only 3 players on your team). Once the zone reaches 5v5 or 6v6 it would automatically revert to a normal ASWZ game.[/quote]

I agree to a degree. The zone was definitely made for 8v8. It might be fun to do something like that in the short term. The problem, in my ( drunk again) mind, is that if the zone settings changes too much, we will just be another zone. We are not just another zone! We are "A Small Warzone"...with damn good settings and gameplay.

I have noticed, in playing other zones, that alot of them have special arenas within for people with certain games. Before going into a zone, I notice the big number of ppl playing in the zone. Then usually when I go in, there are only a few people playing the original arena, but lots others playing other side-arenas.

What do you think about offering up some sub-arenas to people who have ideas of their own? We host those arenas for them, and when people come to play the other arena, the numbers will be added to ASWZ. It will make that original number look bigger...more enticing... and therefore will lead people to the zone. Even if they are headed to a different arena, they will have to start in one of the main ASWZ arenas, and most will give it a try. That will draw more players to the original game, and build numbers.

Should try to find people wanting to make arenas who are regulars in other zones...will bring more traffic.

My 6 1/2 cents.

~Freak
I feel like I might as well add my 2c. I don't think we should confuse people by changing the settings. The settings are great, most of us love them. We need to market the zone better. How is it that I am seeing 450 people in Trench Wars, 150 in Extreme Games, and 0 in ASWZ? What can we do to bring in new people and indoctrinate them into the ways of ASWZ? What can we do to contact the old vets and bring them back into the fold? How can we get our lovely zone on the main listing server?
[quote name='hawkaloogie' post='245698' date='Apr 4 2009, 03:20 AM']There is that, of course. I was more thinking of this as a structured ASWZ game, Attackers vs. Defenders, as opposed to both teams having to field both attackers and defenders (difficult when there are only 3 players on your team). Once the zone reaches 5v5 or 6v6 it would automatically revert to a normal ASWZ game.[/quote]

Another note. I've been hanging out in "Extreme" while not in ASWZ. They have several arenas that mean nothing, and just have offline players sitting idle to make their numbers look bigger. Can we make an offline arena and ask our regulars to stay online in it as often as possible? (spectating)

I don't mind doing it. Maybe it will help. It works for them... (ps. Yes...I'm drunk)

~Freak