Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Back! SSXA A Small WarZone
For all of those wondering where ASWZ went, wonder nevermore! Due to a gracious donation of server and bandwidth by sknox, ASWZ is back!

I will once again be leading this endeavor. I have no doubt it will go far better than my previous attempt.

We're using the ASSS server (grelminar being an old ASWZer, it just feels right). Because of this, we already have a bunch of features that subgame simply is not capable of (flags cannot be dropped outside the map, for example).

Before we open officially, there are things we need to do:

1. Find maps.

There are dozens if not hundreds of ASWZ maps out there. If you have a couple, please let us know.

The old ASWZ ?go duel map is missing, if you have it we can put the duel arena back up.
  2. Hire staff

We will need 3-6 mods. To begin with, as mod, your job will be to populate the zone at designated times, help new players get the hang of the zone (by not killing them, letting them kill you, and/or protecting them from spawnkillers), and otherwise be the face of ASWZ.
  3. Server Development

There is little that really needs to be done here, but I have lots of ideas. These will be addressed in later posts.
  4. Get the word out

At its peak, ASWZ had more players than Warzone. Some of those players are still around.

The first few weeks will be a lot of talking: How things should proceed, What sort of zone we want to build. The ship settings that are in-zone right now will remain mostly the same, but there are things we can do with ASSS to help the game stay fresh. These will be talked about in other posts.

Please be patient, ASWZ wasn't built in a day. My goal is to have 2 freqs of 8 on at least 2 nights a week. If we can achieve that, I will consider ASWZ reborn.
YES!! WOOHOO!!
Good luck in your quest to reviving the zone.
if you need someone in the server area, i may be of help.
[quote name='tcsoccerman' post='241366' date='Dec 22 2008, 03:13 PM']if you need someone in the server area, i may be of help.[/quote]

tcsoccerman: I've got your IM usernames from my thread in the SSDev forum, but I cannot seem to message you using them (the server just rejects them). I suspect some weirdness with my client. My AIM id is "hawkal00gie" and my e-mail address is doug@commctrl.com.

I would greatly appreciate assistance with server dev. I plan on learning Python and doing some stuff as well. My only caveat is that the work be released with a popular F/OSS license (preferably GPL/LGPL, MIT, or Artistic). I, personally, am puzzled by the lack of F/OSS code for SubSpace, considering SubSpace's status as "Abandonware" / "Community-maintained" (the number seems to be hovering around 25%). It may be that I'm just not looking in the right places.
[quote name='hawkaloogie' post='241403' date='Dec 23 2008, 01:10 PM']I, personally, am puzzled by the lack of F/OSS code for SubSpace, considering SubSpace's status as "Abandonware" / "Community-maintained" (the number seems to be hovering around 25%). It may be that I'm just not looking in the right places.[/quote]

Because there simply aren't that many zones using ASSS, and those who do, still like to keep some code for themselves in order to maintain a certain level of competitivity and so that others don't spawn a near-exact replica of your own zone. That aside, MGB's forum has lots of available resources, just look through the 'custom projects' and 'ASSS questions' sections. That plus there's also smong's website and the ASSS wiki which you shouldn't overlook.

Anyhow, best of luck with the zone, and make sure to keep us all posted when you officially open. [Image: blum.gif]
Happy to see something positive about aswz..

I invite everyone who read the post to reply with their email so we can plan games. We dont need that much people.. 4 vs 4 would still be fun.

IF YOU HAVE CONTACT EMAIL OF OLD ASWZERS, Please contact them.. tell them to come here.
Also, just come in #modus on Freenode.

I'm ready to get a game together of any size.
I wasn't around, never even thought of when aswz was on ss. But I hope to be playing something awesome soon. [Image: smile.gif]
nice to see all of you! hope to be able to join in some good games.

tirex: my email is gabli386 (at) gmail.com

thanks hawk!