Poll: How is Caerbannog doing as sysop?
Bad
Good
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is Caerbannog doing as sysop?
Let's hear it.

Bad, but apparently not as bad as stag is for PB because it's dead over there.

(I know I suck and I don't even play but I will still voice my opinion damnit)

<sup>Good Job.  I'm really enjoying league and having fun.  I don't see how Caer is doing a bad job.  He has to manage a bunch of things, not everyone is going to agree with all his choices, but he's fairing pretty well, imo.</sup>

With the huge demand for sysops who are active and willing to show every sunday to host league matches,  I think that caer is doing a fine job.  I don't think that everyone will be happy and a lot of people think caer killed subspace, but they are just looking to blame people for subspace's general downfall since it is like 20 years old and that is insane.  Yes, he has some biased post reviews, but who cares?  that actually gets people active in forums.  He isn't anal about anything to ban people for nothing (rage and legacy's bans were the only bans i've seen in 4v4 in like ever.  These bans might have been overtly excessive, but they were not that bad).  Yeah maybe he won't listen to advice on changing things, but a lot of people hate change and like he said he doesn't want to change anything mid swing of a season either.     

He's quite immature, uninnovative, and unsuited to manage anything of real importance. That said, he's doing a well enough job considering no better candidates have stepped forward.
Really? We all know who the people who voted "bad" are.

So, I'm asking you, who could do a better job than Caer? All you do is complain. Yeah and Caer killed the 20 year old game? I see 12 squads in the league and it's 2013 btw.

As league op, I'd say he's doing a fairly good job. Participation is up, there are more squads than there have been in recent seasons, games have gone smoothly with really only one squad being inactive, etc.

As sysop, or whatever label it's given, that oversees 4v4 arenas as a whole, I'd say I have a different opinion. For whatever it's worth, which probably isn't more than the cost of the pixels this is typed on, having a hands-off approach is bad. Very bad. The 4v4 arenas are a daily/nightly thing for most people. These people see trends, while others may call them problems, and archaic rules that were put into place years ago don't always stand the test of time or evolve with the game. Without being there to witness it yourself, things can only be taken for face value. Reminding people that you're pretty "meh" about anything that is SS related is almost like saying you're apparently going to take the easy road when it comes to every judgment call while falling back on a rule set that is simply outdated or non-applicable.

From my perspective, and basing this largely on the last few weeks, 4v4 (the arena, not the activity) at night has gotten entirely boring and monotonous. By the time I log in after work, which is generally around 10:15pm Central time, there are often 40+ people in a single arena, !showline has 6-10 people in it, but the same 8-12 people end up playing for the next hour while the people that are still trying to get a cap slowly dwindle as they begin to log off. Now perhaps I'm logging in after the height of 4v4 activity has died down and everyone has gotten their fill. Maybe my opinion is completely baseless for that reason alone. I just have doubts that starting the moment before I log in, the arena that has 40+ people in it has suddenly turned into only 8-12 active players while everyone else is afk. Furthermore, there are plenty of other posts that complain about forcecap, so I don't think I'm too far from the truth.

The solution we were offered was "Get 8 people and go to another arena." That's not addressing the issue, or even attempting to discuss an accepted solution. That's putting the blame squarely on the players that are getting their cap removed from them. It's essentially saying "It's your own fault for not playing." I guess it's even more frustrating when in the same breath we're told that the reason for not burning or speclocking people that lag out multiple times is partially due to the inability to find a sub.  So finding a single sub for someone that lags out more than 5 times can be a difficult task at times (so no need to change rules), but finding 8 people to go to a new arena isn't (so no need to change rules).  I refer back to my earlier comment about taking the easy road when it comes to judgment calls.

I'd say it's safe to presume that most people know that I log in for Chatspace more than anything. If I reach 50 practices in a month, I've had a busy month. That being said, since joining Rebels for league, I've been far more active in practices than at any other point in the last 3-4 years, maybe longer. I also know and accept that outside of squad practices or claiming a cap, I don't get picked for practices. I'm fine with that...I'm not good. Yet, when I know that I have little to no chance of getting into a practice because my cap will be forced away, it really lowers the desire to even log in (when I'm logging in hoping to get a claim or two, that is). My time spent in SS has steadily gone down over the last two weeks, outside of weekends when I know squadmates are on and we can get a practice going in one of the arenas. I'm not implying that I'm any more important to SS than anyone else, but merely giving an opinion on something that I enjoy being a part of. Perhaps the stance of "I don't care" is a good way to diffuse and limit trash talking, but when the daily playerbase starts to not care because they have restricted access to the game (read as: forcecap being abused), it may be time to tune in and be open to suggestions.

But I digress...

Meh.

P.S.  I'm not just trying to tear into you, Caerbannog.  I've always been on friendly terms with you.  Heck, we've been in the same Skype channel text chatting with everyone else in there for nearly two years.  I simply don't see eye to eye with you on this issue.  It's nothing personal, and I hope that's evident despite the tone in this post.

No Digsy. I'm "meh" on stuff like match results etc. unless something frustrating like a proper rep ignore makes my ship explode. Or doesn't repel someone into bombs. But while I'm not even in the game, the result won't really move me. Then again, I'm not very easily excited at least in a positive sense.

As for a smooth league experience, I'm all "yay". This does translate, in some effect, to practices. We've always had issues with practices, one way or the other. People easily feel wronged if they watch someone "good" suicide out practice after practice and remain to be picked. Besides whatever major issue in the practice settings we have going on, stuff like this always matters in regards to the player base. At least I think it does.

I'm not exactly sure as to why we currently have 12 squads, up from 6 a while ago. I'd expect it to go down as much if one or two squads fold and league feels like a set of sure-wins and sure-losses for the mid-tier squads, which most of these new squads are, or help produce.  But fact is, this is the current situation, with the current squad arena settings.

Disabling the squad mode (!forcecap) is easy enough, we can try this for a week or two or something to see what would happen. Messing with lag outs isn't quite as simple (since it's a bot change) and fiddling with the ruling on that might result in some unwarranted bans if we choose to enforce it as well.

I try to oversee as little as possible. Kind of the way it's meant to be imo. Plus I can't really be lecturing people on how to be nice to newbies either, or how to treat them as a valuable part of the practice arenas. That would be awfully hypocritical. While I might play with them, I certainly won't pick people around myself based on "this guy hasn't played for a while, I will give him a shot!".

P.S. I like the fact that you can at least form an opinion based on something logical #skypecirclejerk #raisajerk