Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season One Champions
Does anyone remember or have any logs from "Season One" or even pyramid seasons before that?

I'm sure ONE had more than 4 players on their roster that season. That ...... on the map always bothered me. It's a small matter, just curious.

I always assumed that the question mark or "..." on that line is to indicate "and surely some other folks, but this is all we could remember offhand".

What year was Season One. I have an old early 1997 League Zone website (seems hosted by Doomsday squad) that suggests a challenge system as opposed to scheduled matches. Shows ONE leading in the 2nd tier. BlackDragon and ReDS were in the third tier, Doomsday, FuN! and Harvester of Sorrow were in the third tier. Thing is, everyone I speak to about it denies that League was ever a challenge format.

ONE seemed to have had a team website in 1997 ( http://users.usinternet.com/fury/index.html-ssi ) but it no longer exists and archive.org doesn't have any captures Sad

One of the three most dangerous people in Subspace.
Quote:<div>
I always assumed that the question mark or "..." on that line is to indicate "and surely some other folks, but this is all we could remember offhand".

What year was Season One. I have an old early 1997 League Zone website (seems hosted by Doomsday squad) that suggests a challenge system as opposed to scheduled matches. Shows ONE leading in the 2nd tier. BlackDragon and ReDS were in the third tier, Doomsday, FuN! and Harvester of Sorrow were in the third tier. Thing is, everyone I speak to about it denies that League was ever a challenge format.

ONE seemed to have had a team website in 1997 ( http://users.usinternet.com/fury/index.html-ssi ) but it no longer exists and archive.org doesn't have any captures Sad

</div>

Yeah it definitely was a challenge format. Based on your position in the Pyramid you could challenge teams above you and you could move up in tiers. They got rid of it because it relied too much on the activity and communication of captains - so they started to create schedules. After that the only reliance on captains was to agree on playtimes - which is gone now and im not sure when that stopped.

Sadly the amount of trolls has grown exponentially in our league so I wouldn't poll people on activities that occurred before 2001.

In season 0 (pyramid) ONE consisted of trixter, d-tox, babamonkey, Biohazard, THX, Love You (me), Darkhosis and Shiner. I may be missing one or two - but as far as I can remember guys like Jolly Roger were strictly chaos drones. THX played jackpot a lot but did end up in a few matches.

</div>

That's also what I figured with the ....

That system I believe was regarding Pyramid League, prior to Season One on our current map or it ran parallel to this league (pretty sure it was before). It would be cool to have those champions on the map but I have zero clue who won each respective "season" there.

The masterrater site goes back to season 3 or 4 with records that are spotty. They say season one but really aren't.

There was also Euro League that had higher start bounties and bullet damage, Candy knows enough about that. I assume people don't want those on the map but I always figured those champions should be there too. Shrug.
btw this is the League Zone website I found : http://www.pcuf.fi/~tsl/stats.html

Pretty interesting stuff for a newbie like me to read.

PS: I also have been working on a "timeline" table showing what seasons played out in what years (to month level). Friggin' hard once you get back to about 2000/2001. Including Euro, WSL, UL, periods when Spring had competitive seasons, etc. If I can work out how to make an image off it I'll post it.

Pretty sure the ... is just "etc. and so forth and so on".

btw this is the League Zone website I found : http://www.pcuf.fi/~tsl/stats.html

Pretty interesting stuff for a newbie like me to read.

PS: I also have been working on a "timeline" table showing what seasons played out in what years (to month level). Friggin' hard once you get back to about 2000/2001. Including Euro, WSL, UL, periods when Spring had competitive seasons, etc. If I can work out how to make an image off it I'll post it.

</div>

That was the pyramid league. I believe ONE was considered the champion of pyramid league soon after the 8/1/97 update on that site.

Season 1 began after that ended. ONE had d-tox, trixter, darkhosis, babamonkey, thx, love you, crimson, and digital. ONE picked up Shiner and Travis from Dukes of Hazzard after beating them in a close playoff game. Technically they were rostered on ONE at the end of the season, but were not allowed to play until season 2 began.
I know several old Doomsday peoples, they may be able to shed some light on this.
WTF Get off my lawn!
Pretty sure the ... is just "etc. and so forth and so on".

</div>

Yeah that is what I figured. I was just wondering if people had any real proof of who was on the team so the map could be updated. It's a longshot but I figured I would see.

TGIF.
I am one of the original founding members of ONE, you can ask away.(Fury)  I actually created that ONE website you are referring to, no idea if I have any backups of it stowed somewhere.  Anyhow, Gruntster dinged a few of the old bastards to come in here and answer questions. I can see if I can remember, getting old man Smile

edit:

Two founding members for ONE that are missing:

Fury (eric)

Betamax (brent)

For league games, we'd get on the phone, or the local MN guys(basically D-Tox, Trixter, Fury, Betamax) typically go somewhere that had a T-1 and play there (and shout/curse at each other).   Otherwise, we'd conference call in which was fucking expensive!!!!
I am one of the original founding members of ONE, you can ask away.(Fury)  I actually created that ONE website you are referring to, no idea if I have any backups of it stowed somewhere.  Anyhow, Gruntster dinged a few of the old bastards to come in here and answer questions. I can see if I can remember, getting old man Smile

edit:

Two founding members for ONE that are missing:

Fury (eric)

Betamax (brent)

For league games, we'd get on the phone, or the local MN guys(basically D-Tox, Trixter, Fury, Betamax) typically go somewhere that had a T-1 and play there (and shout/curse at each other).   Otherwise, we'd conference call in which was fucking expensive!!!!

</div>

Welcome back fury - I was still picking my nose in Warzone when you guys were winning league.

I just wanted to see if anyone had screenshots of rosters or anything like that so the map could be updated and accurate (I assume nobody would have a problem with that if rostered members could be proven). Currently the map has I think 4 players and a ...... regarding the season one champions.

All the best.

P.S. - You should bring ONE back. Wink

Somebody took my name a long time ago, don't know if they still play.  I play as SgtFury once in a while now in Chaos.  

I'll dig around my old hard drives and see if I can pull some stuff up.  (I do still have some ancient HD's which may have ONE stuff on them, I'll see if I can hook them up tonight)

Some pieces falling into place ... thanks for dropping by, Fury. I'm pretty sure Caer would be keen to add the roster info that is remembered next time A1 is updated. So that League Zone website was essentially the final competition prior to Season 01 as registered. This helps also to "timestamp" those early seasons.

If you look around that web link there's links to other team websites too, some of which can still be found via archive.org.

Anyone know the complete list of competing teams in the first Pro League season?

one of the replies

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:12.727272033691406px;">Is this the season I ranthe league tracking web site for Ghost Ship? If so I should have the full code and db hiding in one of those cloud based archives. If it was the other web site that followed then I dont.

<div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:12.727272033691406px;">
<div style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">[Image: cleardot.gif]</div>
</div>
WTF Get off my lawn!
another

<div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:12.727272033691406px;">Was this the season where ONE cheated with the view energy ability? They should strike trixter name from the map due to child abuse, like Pete Rose from the baseball hall of fame. I'm not bitter at all. Smile

</div>
<span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:12.727272033691406px;">Seriously, the names on the list look rightish, but who knows.  The odd thing is league 'Season One' of Subspace was very late in SubSpace life for most of us. In many ways I think league was one of the worst things to happen to SubSpace.  People stopped playing real zones and just sat around and chatted watching scrimmages.</span>

</div>
WTF Get off my lawn!
another

<span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:12.727272033691406px;">Before that I believe... with Egoslasher.</span>

<div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:12.727272033691406px;"> </div>
<div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:12.727272033691406px;">Pyramid was the beginning.  Then Season 1 came along in which changed the format quite a bit.  I played in Pyramid and started reffing/playing come Season 1.  Still have old score sheets sitting in a folder somewhere.</div>
</div>
WTF Get off my lawn!
We never cheated.  We were just really good, came down to teamwork and all of us spending waaaayyy too much time playing.

I used to work for Trixter, and this is ALL we'd do all day.  (business failed, go figure!) Smile  I introduced him to the game while at work. (Sorry)

Trixter (Nick) was a friend of mine until all the rape stuff came out.  (guess I wasn't surprised)  I wouldn't strike his name out, even if he was a GIANT douchebag.  You can't deny he made a lot of people talk and really got under a lot of people's skins.  

Chaos drone? I take offense Smile

It's true that I am one of the very few players who started in Chaos and then stayed there after discovering Running/Jackpot zone, which were far more competitive.

However I did play jackpot and warzone a lot as well, and was League Captain of the the Phatboys. It was in a league match where IEC.EXE and I came back from a 4 on 2 deficit to win that trixter offered me a spot on ONE and I took it. One of the most amazing wins ever, I wish I had a replay of it. I started in a few matches and did okay, but was never first-string. D-Tox and Darkhosis were that and remain two of the best players the game has ever known.

As Fury said we scrimiged and practiced a LOT and if you didn't bring A-Game then D-Tox would just knock you off the team. We were the best because we recruited the best, and then never stopped trying to improve. If there was cheating going on I was never aware of it, and as to the rumor that trixter bought us all 21" monitors.. sorry that was false Smile

I leared a lot of lessons in subspace. The first was how to get a player on tilt and keep him there. Trixter was a master of this, it's just a shame he never publicly turned it off. Second was trash talk, how to do it and how to be immune to it.
Oh, on the topic of bringing ONE back.. in order to get and keep and edge you have to be inherently good at twitch games, learn proper tactical judgement, and be able to *effortlessly* navigate a maze, like second nature. I used to practice flying full speed at 2-square openings and nailing them every time. for hours. and hours.

I would practice hitting 1x1 asteroids with bombs in high-speed passes. for hours. and hours.

Best piece of advice I got in the game was from D-Tox (who rarely ever spoke) which was "don't miss". He was so right.

Funny thing about getting that good is how quickly you lose the skill. In order to stay sharp it takes hours of daily practice. As little as a week goes by and the edge dulls. not enough for a casual observer to notice, but at the highest levels of competition it shows.

What I'm getting at is that to be the best at a game like this you need daily dedicatioin and I don't have that kind of time anymore. I doubt any of the "old guard" does.

It's nice to see some old names are still alive and well. Jolly, why don't you jump in and turret chaos some time? Smile 

I could plug in some old computers and dig for SS files if anyone is interested. I always kept my subspace dir intact from the first install, so i naturally gathered a lot of information. You can find a lot of things with waybackmachine.com too. I think Black Hole's website is there. (with "we are the champions.midi" intact and playing) They had 3 games with ONE for the number 1 position in pyramid if i'm not mistaken? And i think ONE won the last game turreting babamonkey repeatedly running to the wormhole and just greening. 

I came into league via chaos zone, phatboys. But we also had a zone vs zone tournament on the old alpha/pro map, during pyramid reign. I played for chaos together with indra, riffraff, codeine and others. We also had a weird map with a wormhole stuck inside walls between the old pyramid map and the current map. That was right about the time we transitioned into todays format and season 1. I remember ONE recruiting during this period. Most notably Darkhosis. 

During this period we also had Euro league, and a Country vs Country tournament. These were dominated by Finns and Swedes. Sweden played and won both with me, arctos, pry, malmox, glamdring, black psycho, hellsbane, im probably forgetting a few names. The finns always had 2 or 3 strong teams, with a few from norway tossed into the mix.

I can relate to what jolly roger says. When i came back to the game i could feel that i wasnt on par with todays game. And it's tough to push your game back to the top.