SVS Subspace Forums

Full Version: Suggested Map Format
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didn't want to derail Arctos' post more than I already did so I figured I would start my own. His thread is about people submitting maps - and I wanted to start one that talked about the format. (So we can have some segregation of discussion)

Some history:

-In 1999 trixter lobbied to change the league map and we all practiced on a different map for a bit. It didn't work, and people wouldn't accept it.

-In 2001 Sephiroso told the population to submit maps... guys like Arctos, hagetaga and Shuko all submitted maps. People practiced on them for a bit and people submitted their likes and dislikes. In the end it never ended up changing.

However, in the 2001 effort Operator suggested that league games rotate between two maps. One map being 'home' and one map being 'away'. Unfortunately, I think his suggestion was overlooked.

Here is the direct quote:

"<span style="font-family:Times;font-size:medium;">Look at the schedule, and make each team have an even amount of home and away matches...
</span>

<p style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:Times;font-size:medium;">In home matches, the squad captain, at the time of the game, can pick which map the game is played on.."

<p style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:Times;font-size:medium;"> 

<p style="font-family:Times;font-size:medium;">One of the maps could be the current league layout and the other can be a new one. OR we could take the current pro map and vertically flip it - so we have the same amount of structures and space but it still feels different. Additionally, if it was vertically flipped people could still anticipate things and know where they are but it takes an additional second or so to think about it.

<p style="font-family:Times;font-size:medium;"> 

<p style="font-family:Times;font-size:medium;">Thoughts?

<p style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:Times;font-size:medium;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:Times;font-size:medium;">001 effort Operator suggested that league games rotate between two maps. One map being 'home' and one map being 'away'.

<div>It's good that you brought it up. I was hoping this would be the next thing to discuss assuming we can come up with some viable maps.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>The choices we have are to stay with current map, replace it straight up, rotate a number of maps during the season or do something like you suggest which I think is a great idea.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>We could have more than two maps for this although I suspect the overall logistics might become increasingly difficult with each map.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>If this would happen I would also suggest to have all playoffs on the current map.</div>
Quote:<div>

<div>It's good that you brought it up. I was hoping this would be the next thing to discuss assuming we can come up with some viable maps.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>The choices we have are to stay with current map, replace it straight up, rotate a number of maps during the season or do something like you suggest which I think is a great idea.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>We could have more than two maps for this although I suspect the overall logistics might become increasingly difficult with each map.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>If this would happen I would also suggest to have all playoffs on the current map.</div>

</div>

Aye, was just trying to think about the approach first - and the map second. If people are comfortable with the approach they may be more open to to some sort of map change.

In regards to the map I think the approach of 'replace it straight up' will never work. It's too much of a change to everyone's comfort zone.
I have to agree. Anyone who are still playing this same map don't want to get off from their comfort zone, which this case is the current league map, what they have been playing since the year 2000.

What Arctos made, was a totally new map. We played on it, we liked it, but.. how many would change it to current League map? I jet 95% would keep the current map, because anything new and that big of a change would get People off from their comfort zone.

What we can and should sädo, is to work the current map. Split it to sections and improve those sections which have flaws on them. Iex. I would change the Upper left corner.

I like this idea too.