Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SVS 2003 settings this reset + more
[size="2"][size="2"][size="2"]

The SVS weekend event/test run brought up many interesting factors, including:[/size][/size]

Lower bty start and less than perfect ships encouraged team play via team greening.

Larger freqsizes encouraged more team play and swarming.

Fewer greens meant people fought over those available.

Anything that emphasizes team play in Chaos is good.

The settings changes we made to SVS while I ran the zone in the early 2000s did not affect game play in a huge way. Chaos-bot was created to try and deal with the occasional low population scenarios of too few greens, and too many people on a single freq chasing out all the other people.

Here are the other changes to SVS CD settings [and my assessment of the play impact]:

--wb rot at 290 to match league [almost negligible]

--all ships at 18 thrust (to match league) except wb (19) and jav (17) [minor but good releveling of ship strength]

--burst dmg at 350 instead of the insane 515 (appeared that only one person noticed that the bursts were super powerful with the SVS settings) [affected tunnel rats most]

--bullets -- exact damage + 212 dmg at lvl3 bullets (matching league) -- (some ppl noticed this) [major change, but one that is critical to allow league players meaningful practice in Chaos]

--lower % of 'luck' greens: super, warp, engine shutdown [the greens we had consistent, major complaints about]

--repel speed and time to match league (4200 v 5000; 295 v 225) [minor but does affect things, again to allow league players prac]

--rocket speed to match league (4500 v 5000) [intermediate effect, again to allow league players to prac][/size]

[size="2"]--single rabbit flag w/upgrades

Things retained from 2011 settings:

--the shark -- the SVS shark was designed by marketing people (not Jeff/Rod) and not user tested *at all*. It killed the spider. If the spider needs to be stronger, let's address that rather than replacing it.

Greens & Freqsizes:

Even though Chaos-Bot was extremely successful at raising the population when first deployed in 1999, it was designed for a higher overall population. My observations over the weekend have lead me to slightly rethink the speed with which larger freqs appear and the green distribution pattern. I've run some tests on some revised settings for Chaos-Bot to change the freqsizes and green settings (in fact, with a new algorithm to calc some of the settings), and will deploy them for this Reset and continue to observe how they play out in the all the extremely variable circumstances possible in the zone. Please give feedback (e.g. "too few greens w/6 ppl playing"; "greens too tightly spaced around the center w/8 ppl"; "I came in and there was a 4 person freq turreting and chasing everyone out"; etc.)

Bonuses:

I agree with many people here (the 'no bonus' sentiment) -- I do not like bonuses that materially affect game play -- i.e. buying toys in the middle of fighting. Expect to see this continue to be changed or eliminated in the future. For this Reset, we'll go ahead with the previously announced trial of the new bonus prices, and the restriction to only redeem bonuses when in safe.[/size]

[size="2"][url="http://forums.ssgn.net/topic/25652-prospective-changes-to-the-bonus-system/page__view__findpost__p__274386"]http://forums.ssgn.n...post__p__274386[/url][/size]

[size="2"]Please keep in mind that nothing here, or in life, is permanent. Constructive feedback welcome.[/size]

[size="2"]--hallu[/size]

[size="2"]Edit: good suggestion from Nightwasp to rename FullShip bonus to FullStatus[/size]

Messages In This Thread
SVS 2003 settings this reset + more - hallucination - 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM
SVS 2003 settings this reset + more - Yupa - 04-26-2011, 07:44 AM