Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster locks: reasons why rosters should stay unlocked for much longer
Hi,

As many of you know, rosters are locked around round 9 or so. I haven't heard from Caer exactly why this is so, but I can guess why: we want to make sure that people plan ahead for playoffs, that they're not going to recruit ringers for the big games, etc.

These are good concerns. But I'd like to put forward two reasons for why we should consider pushing back the roster lock dates for the AML division of league (i.e., for squads that will play in the 'AML playoffs' or whatever it is). And I'll briefly respond to the worries after giving the two reasons.

Before giving the two reasons, however, let me stress the modesty of my claim. I am suggesting only that we push back roster lock dates for *AML squads* -- not pro squads, who are typically more established, and to whom the considerations I'm going to give don't apply as much.

The first reason: newer squads need time to recruit.

As we all know, this zone is dying. It's extremely hard for newer squads to recruit when (i) people generally don't play during the week and (ii) don't always play on Sundays either.

Here's a case study. You will not be surprised to hear that it's been hard for Dune to recruit. And we've had a few people who have lately said that they were interested in joining, but who said yes only after the round 9 lock.

Moreover, this is likely to be the norm for new squads. It will be hard for any genuinely new squad to recruit in its first season. If we don't push back roster lock dates, we are all but guaranteeing that (genuinely) new squads will not make it past their first season. This is not good for the long-term health of the league.

The second reason: given how long the league season is, pushing back roster lock dates will allow players to hop on if they subsequently decide they have the time to play

We are all busy people. We may not know how many weekends we can afford to devote to SS, and may not want to jump on a squad at the start because of how long the season is. And sometimes pockets of free time just become available, or we realize we can spare the time after all. Pushing the roster lock dates will allow squads -- typically the less established ones -- to pick up such players who decide to commit at the last minute.

I'm sure there are other important considerations that one could adduce too. These are just the two that come to mind most readily.

It's worth pointing out, too, that the squads that the roster lock dates impact the most are newer, struggling squads. These are not squads that are going to recruit ringers to 'win the league from behind'. These are squads that are just looking to make it fun for their players on Sundays.

We could even add a few refinements, if we wanted to ensure that the ringer thing doesn't happen: e.g., one only gets to recruit a max of 2 - 3 ppl after round 9. You get the idea.

This is too long as it is -- thanks for your patience in reading it.
Valid but; no mods or smod will do any thing for a change
The two main reasons are 1) people changing squads for a better shot at ... whatever their reason and 2) other people getting removed to make space for them. That's also why we currently lock in two stages, first preventing leaving squads, then joining for everyone. As for *AML squads* .. we really can't call that before we know who finishes where either. For more on that, check the schedule thread. We could bend the rules and make exceptions, but seriously I don't want to deal with the massive whining this causes. "Why did X get to do it but Y won't, BIAS BIAS BIAS". Applying the same rules to everyone is much much easier and more fair.
If those are the two main reasons, then what about allowing squads to add people who are currently *un*rostered if doing so wouldn't result in kicking anyone active? That's what Dune is hoping to do, anyway.
Im sure the council would agree that sfe and dune are aml and no one would mind them tweaking their team
Caer expressed some skepticism yesterday in game about whether there were genuinely unrostered people that Dune could add. So, for the sake of having it out in the open: we're hoping to add galaxy, g_bone, and possibly one more person who was on Pure last season but who is currently unrostered. (And remove turban, who's from TW and plays a league that conflicts with SVS league.) So there *are* unrostered people we could add.

I didn't have very much hope that we would be able to add people, and it's starting to look increasingly unlikely. But some things are worth pointing out for the sake of pointing out, and this is one of them. These rules are archaic -- the legacy of a time when SVS had tons of people -- and should be changed if you want league to survive.
(07-04-2016, 06:24 PM)qwing Wrote:  Caer expressed some skepticism yesterday in game about whether there were genuinely unrostered people that Dune could add. So, for the sake of having it out in the open: we're hoping to add galaxy, g_bone, and possibly one more person who was on Pure last season but who is currently unrostered. (And remove turban, who's from TW and plays a league that conflicts with SVS league.) So there *are* unrostered people we could add.

I didn't have very much hope that we would be able to add people, and it's starting to look increasingly unlikely. But some things are worth pointing out for the sake of pointing out, and this is one of them. These rules are archaic -- the legacy of a time when SVS had tons of people -- and should be changed if you want league to survive.

Ok.. and what if other squads might want to add those (or any) players as well?
(07-04-2016, 07:52 PM)Caerbannog Wrote:  
(07-04-2016, 06:24 PM)qwing Wrote:  Caer expressed some skepticism yesterday in game about whether there were genuinely unrostered people that Dune could add. So, for the sake of having it out in the open: we're hoping to add galaxy, g_bone, and possibly one more person who was on Pure last season but who is currently unrostered. (And remove turban, who's from TW and plays a league that conflicts with SVS league.) So there *are* unrostered people we could add.

Ok.. and what if other squads might want to add those (or any) players as well?

1. If AML squads (though I'm not 100% sure which squads are AML, tbh) want to add players, I don't think anyone will care. And if AML squads want to add precisely those unrostered players I mentioned, then it's up to the players which squads they want to join.

2. If I'm wrong and AML squads do care, then it should come down to a *vote* or something like that among these AML squads whether or not to permit the addition of players. And if we do want to have a vote, it might be a good idea to have reasoned arguments be laid out on each side first so that people can make an informed decision.

3. As for non-AML squads like TD, I don't personally have a good enough sense for whether people will care whether TD is permitted to add players. But if they do, then have a vote.

It's obviously ultimately your decision which way to go. And doing things this way might mean a bit more work for you, so I understand the reluctance. It's up to you -- I personally think that lifting the roster lock might do a little to allow league to survive one or two more seasons (and possibly make for more dynamic and entertaining games to watch), but then again it's bound to die soon anyway.

It's also worth noting that there's already an instrument in place that will discourage squad hopping. This instrument is social pressure / dynamics. First, people want to play with their buddies, and tend to want to just play with people they know well. (C.f. current pro and 'top AML' squads.) Second, if someoen is going to squad hop, then there's a good chance that squads will remember that next season, and be less inclined to invite that person.

Anyway, I've taken enough of your time with this. Thanks for reading and responding.