Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
League Schedule Question
Even though my crazy adventures are going to make me afk for 3 months ... i had a though/question:

I saw in another post people talking about those that are not showing to matches.  I'm curious as to why the squad captains don't choose the day and time of matches versus them being specifically on Sunday afternoon?

I would think this would add more flexibility and allow for better showing of players?

Squad Captains:  Okay we have to schedule a game this week.  What days is everyone available?

Squad Captains:  Puts everyone's name on a calendar for that week.  See's who's available each day.  Then talks with other squad captain and coordinates a time.

If nothing is chosen for whatever reason ... how about the day time just fall on Sunday at the regular time?

- McLaren

I guess there is an assumption that if scheduling was left up to captains then it would never get done. Additionally, a mod has to load the bot with the game before it can be played - so a mod would need to be available at the time of the game. I believe this is why the games only take place during 3pm and 4pm...so it's easier to manage.

Most of the shortcomings we have from a league management perspective stems from the website and bots' lack of features. That compounded with Caerbannog's significant decrease in activity is causing these types of issues. Yes, Caerbannog waiting until the last minute to post match times is a problem. We're all older now and have life obligations that don't enable us the luxury of blocking off several hours of our Sunday because we don't know match times early enough to plan.

Quote:<div>
I guess there is an assumption that if scheduling was left up to captains then it would never get done. Additionally, a mod has to load the bot with the game before it can be played - so a mod would need to be available at the time of the game. I believe this is why the games only take place during 3pm and 4pm...so it's easier to manage.

Most of the shortcomings we have from a league management perspective stems from the website and bots' lack of features. That compounded with Caerbannog's significant decrease in activity is causing these types of issues. Yes, Caerbannog waiting until the last minute to post match times is a problem. We're all older now and have life obligations that don't enable us the luxury of blocking off several hours of our Sunday because we don't know match times early enough to plan.

</div>

Wow. Having the ability to schedule our own games would make me so happy.

Plutorus is a mod if I am not mistaken, and he is on pretty much everyday. Could he be given the power to load the game bot for games scheduled in the week? 

It just makes sense. Many of us are in our 30s now... If we can't be trusted to schedule our own games, I don't know how any of us can be relied on to provide for ourselves and our families. We're not 15 any-more. We don't need baby sitters.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ozn" data-cid="290944" data-time="1401214486">
<div>

</div>

Plutorus is a mod if I am not mistaken, and he is on pretty much everyday. Could he be given the power to load the game bot for games scheduled in the week? 

It just makes sense. Many of us are in our 30s now... If we can't be trusted to schedule our own games, I don't know how any of us can be relied on to provide for ourselves and our families. We're not 15 any-more. We don't need baby sitters.

</div>
</blockquote>
I wouldn't trust mindriot with anything.  

~7th

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="mindriot" data-cid="290945" data-time="1401220316">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ozn" data-cid="290944" data-time="1401214486">
<div>

</div>

</div>
</blockquote>
I wouldn't trust mindriot with anything.  

~7th

</div>
</blockquote>

Hot damn! Especially not your girlfriend Wink
"<span style="color:rgb(159,159,159);font-family:tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(38,38,38);">We're all older now and have life obligations that don't enable us the luxury of blocking off several hours of our Sunday because we don't know match times early enough to plan."</span>

<span style="color:rgb(159,159,159);font-family:tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(38,38,38);">You need two to guarantee you're in there when your match is on. Also you should re-evaluate your life obligations if Subspace is somehow keeping you from your life.</span>

<span style="color:rgb(159,159,159);font-family:tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(38,38,38);">--------</span>

<span style="color:rgb(159,159,159);font-family:tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(38,38,38);">I believe we originally landed on pre-set time slots due to captains' attempts at dirty scheduling</span>

<span style="color:rgb(159,159,159);font-family:tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(38,38,38);">Squad A wants to play on Sunday at noon, or prefers an earlier time like 2pm.</span>

<span style="color:rgb(159,159,159);font-family:tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(38,38,38);">Squad B prefers 3pm, but if they say "3pm plz" they are given 1pm or 2pm as compromise. Thus they say 9pm. Their "match" is now at 4-5 pm.</span>

<span style="color:rgb(159,159,159);font-family:tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(38,38,38);">Somehow scheduling this over the span of an entire week, captains checking with their squads to make sure they can show up to whatever they agree with sounds utopistic. But sure, once you convince Plutorus into running the league you can do all that and more Smile</span>

<span style="color:rgb(159,159,159);font-family:tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(38,38,38);">Every ref at the moment can load games... but that means the games have to be scheduled in the database. I can schedule them, I believe underlord still could, and in theory hallucination could.</span>

How do you enable an environment of more people being capable of scheduling games? Willingness? Training? Powers? What would it take?

Is there a general guideline you follow with things to watch out for, eg : try not to have all current refs playing on same timeslot ... cater for squads' requests for one one timeslot over another where possible, etc etc ... ?
One of the three most dangerous people in Subspace.