Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the need to change greening - Now: How to keep new players
[quote name='Yupa' timestamp='1300498504' post='273738']

...you're losing me. If they haven't been fully greened, then they were at least incredibly well greened compared to classic Chaos.

[/quote]

it's been a progression. i'm just advocating taking the next step in that progression.

0 bty start -> 30 bty start-> 50 bty start -> 50 bty start with full charge, thrust, and rotation -> xx bty start with full recharge, thrust, rotation, bombs, bullets, and max energy, and preserve the greening dynamic that many chaos players love but limit it to getting x, anti, stealth, cloak, and the special items that are the lifeblood of many chaos strategies.

Quote:They already have population-based on-the-fly adjustment, and it doesn't work. For that matter it hasn't worked in any zone that has implemented it, including Powerball, and if memory serves even EG and TW have some changes in place.

when you say it doesn't work and hasn't worked in any zone that's implemented it.. can you clarify? more people might prefer smallpub

but that doesn't make the scaling a failure. i'd actually argue it's pretty damn good, considering the alternative. warzone on sundays uses similar start bty / attach bty scaling.

Quote:You can't preserve existing players (that like the altered sets) and encourage other players that prefer other sets (like the old ones) simultaneously. You can only aim for specific sets you think more people will like... but if you can't make up your mind and _stick_ to one for a while, you will never accrue a decent pop regardless.

this is a fair point - but I don't think it's so black and white. adding full energy and full bombs and bullets to the things you already start with doesn't make *that* big a difference in chaos (given that with 50 greens, you start with something close to what i'm proposing at least 1/3 of the time) and yet, and this is the key, would mean a lot of the people who aren't hard-core chaos junkies would be much more likely to hop in and explode spaceships on a casual basis. this would be a good thing for the zone.

Messages In This Thread
the need to change greening - Now: How to keep new players - fresh - 03-19-2011, 03:49 PM