Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of Chaos/League Zone
As I'm sure you've noticed, Chaos/League SVS Zone did not come back up Thursday which was the ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival - please note the word "estimated" ;). I have no further news on when it will be back up, but am confident it will be back up, and probably soon. I have, or other folks in the SSC, have posted on these boards every bit of news we've gotten on the status of things. We'd all like it to get back to normal asap.

>>>>So what's the hold up? Why isn't the regular zone back up?

I can only speculate, but I think this scenario is fairly likely:

1) Major DDoS on the ssc servers

2) Hosting company (which hosts the game servers, the "real" biller, and the Chaos Bot server also) is not actually ready to handle such a massive attack. The attack affects not only us, but also other of their customers.

3) Management of the Hosting Company is not happy (I wouldn't be) as they probably thought/were told by their security people that they were ready for such an attack. They get complaints from a number of customers (including Priit)

4) Major meetings at the hosting company over how to deal with this sort of thing going forward. This is an issue completely outside the scope of our little game - they need to be able to deal with this stuff if they're to be considered a serious hosting company.

5) They design a way forward which includes: new hardware, new software, ordering it, getting it delivered, installing it, learning how to set it up, configure it and use it. Then ideally testing it against such an attack before releasing these upgrades into the field.

6) Their ETA of when they're ready to release it was Thursday (probably an optimistic estimate), which they missed.

And that's where we stand - waiting for the hosting company to be sure that they're ready if another attack starts up as soon as those servers come back online. Which, imo, is the correct decision - best to be completely ready when you relaunch things.

>>>>Why are Hockey and other zones back up on the real biller?

The attack stopped several days ago. The real biller has been up. The zones that are at hosts that feel they are ready to deal with another attack (or not, and are just crossing their fingers). 

>>>>Why didn't you put up Chaos/League zone on a diff server?

We did exactly that. The thing to understand is that the really important piece here is the "real" biller - no connection to the real biller means no cross zone chats, possibly illegitimate names, scores being messed up etc. etc. It's critical to the community to be on the real biller. It's not possible to connect to the real biller from a different server (i.e. the temp one), so we're in this interim state until the real game server comes back up. There is good, alternative biller that we could all move to.

We've done what we could. Priit jumped in and did his part in getting things going again (pound on the hosting company and throwing money at them). When things come back up, we should be better off than before. Thank you for your patience. 

In the meantime, spread the word to get people into the temp zone and keep them connected. Thanks.

--hallu

<div> </div>
Thanks again for the extra work you're doing to keep us informed in every way possible.

Quote:<div>
Thanks again for the extra work you're doing to keep us informed in every way possible.

</div>

+1
Thanks for all of  you working on this Hallu. Since I am clueless about how to do the tech stuff that y'all do all I can offer is cash if needed Smile How much does it cost?

WTF Get off my lawn!