Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4v4 Challenge League idea
Hi,

After a bunch of talk about how to make the existing league better in chat and on the forum I decided to propose this as another approach. I will try to lay out the argument for why I believe this will be a good idea and how I see it working. Open to any suggestions, other than telling me the idea won't ever work. Other people were mentioning draft league as well so maybe someone can write something up on that.

Basic ideas:

Runs in parallel to the uber elite Premier League 4v4.

** Don't detract from the importance of the long season historical super competitive Sunday league.

** Right now there are many pracs every day, this gives a way to have a "meaningful" competitive match outside of the prac system or sunday only system. Perhaps encourages people to stack less in pracs? Doubtful but who knows.

* Rankings based on ERAT only.

** The idea will be to make the best teams play each other more often for higher ERAT payoff. Or they can grind up defeating beastfu over and over.

** Might need to place a weekly limit on number of times Team A and Team B can face each other.

** Need ERAT decay for inactivity in the top ranked teams to promote activity. This is similar to how League of Legends handles the top ranked player ratings.

* Fully automated challenge system. Team A and Team B agree to play, becomes a ranked match up.

** Fluid schedule, drive activity throughout the week in anticipation of the top dog Premier League 4v4 matchups on Sunday.

* 8 man rosters. No roster lock. Some arbitrary time to sit between switching teams ( 1 week? )

** Apparently some of the trench wars leagues use this, but I think with a shorter team switch duration (48hrs).

** Help drive team fluidity instead of hopefully always playing with same people.

** Not locked into a team for 16 weeks or  however long a season lasts.

** Hopefully makes it easier for smaller teams since the matches aren't on a fixed schedule.

** Inactive players can be dropped and rejoin so there isn't a need for larger rosters.

** Teams/Players with limited time can still play competitively and not create noshows, 3v4s etc.

Some other potential ideas that I haven't thought about as much:

* Allowed One Non Team Sub - Maybe some vets can help some lesser teams?

* Does there need to be some kind of reset / playoffs? Or should it just be perpetual?

* Could this be a place to trial minor setting tweaks to see how they might work in premier league?

I like the idea. Essentially nothing changes. Everyone/squads do prac matches already, so nothing changes.

Fluid, no set times. and rankings base don team ERATing. Sound slike a fun system to encourage more random 4v4squad pracing

+1 on whooping beastfu over and over.

Quote:<div>
I like the idea. Essentially nothing changes. Everyone/squads do prac matches already, so nothing changes.

Fluid, no set times. and rankings base don team ERATing. Sound slike a fun system to encourage more random 4v4squad pracing

+1 on whooping beastfu over and over.

</div>

If nothing changes then... bear with me here, why is this a good or a bad idea? Smile

There are a lot of issues with the proposed idea, most of which could probably be worked around if someone was to work the bots to do all the other suggested things too.

I'll give you the +1 for effort either way.

I will tell you that copying anything regarding the league system or community from League of Legends is a horrible idea. The system is godawful and the community is full of a) retards and b) trolls like me.
It creates a ladder for competition between squads, much like Trench Wars'. It's essentially like a more organized prac, comparable to "ranked" mode in other games. There are a significant number of players unable to compete with 4v4 in its current state, and the addition of a ladder with self-assigned matches would add the flexibility and freedom to help get more people playing. It removes the gatekeepers and the hassle for new squads and players. I don't see why it shouldn't happen, assuming people volunteer to update the bots.