Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regular Season AWARDS
Hello all,

the Pro Council decided to bring back awards to the league. These concern only the regular season and resemble the awards in major sports. The council had a vote on four categories and here are the winners and runner-ups:

Regular season MVP: 

Legacy (Outlaws)

Runner-up: Develop (Assassins)

Best playmaker:

Sika (Assassins)

Runner-up: Inertia (Critical Mass)

Best captain:

TIE - Mop (Assassins) and Inertia (Critical Mass)

Most improved player:

Pryde (Dropships)

Runner-up: Ufotable (StarFire Elite)

Congrats to all the winners (and runner-ups)!

SF

Wow, it feels great to be acknowledged like this from my peers. I have a few words, and a couple people I would like to thank.

A few short seasons ago I logged into game after a very long break, and with some motivation from some old friends decided to try 4v4 out again. I was quite pitiful then as my 1200/2100 damage ratio would make abundantly clear. Essentially, I was floating around in a cloaker attempting to vulch kills: ignoring any semblance of team play. However, one day I reached a turning point. I was in a practice partnered up with a couple of folks from a top-tier squad. I thought to myself "this could be a great chance for me to get some recognition and maybe even get invited to their squad." I flew around doing my usual cloak and vulch strategy, hoping i could get a couple kills and show off some moves to get some attention. It did, but in all the wrong ways. Specifically it was really getting on the nerves of this one particular guy. For the remainder of the practice he berated me and insulted me, openly pointing out my flaws and lack of ability to play properly. I tried with all my then skill to do what he pleaded, or to at least get him to be quiet about it. I flew with the team as best as I could, but eventually, I was separated from the group once more. This top-tier pro was done with me. I was swiftly booted from the frequency and replaced. Our team eventually lost and it was consensus that I was the reason. Snide comments as they banned me for the next practice effectively rubbed salt into the wound. I sat there dejected as many players would have felt in my position. I had heard complaints about my ability before, but I'd never been booted from a frequency mid-practice. I could have lashed out, could have quit, could of created an alias and attempt to gain a better reputation with a new name. But instead I decided to soldier on. Although I wouldn't consider myself a great player or even a good player, I think that I've improved to the point that I can hold my own. So thank you, Three. Unbeknownst to you (until now), your words and actions that day have been an essential motivator for me and my subspace playing career. I believe you are one of the main reasons that I have become the passable (hopefully) league player that I am today. It really pains me that players like B-hole  (please come back dude, you are missed) couldn't do something similar. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just saying that having a chip on a shoulder can be a great motivator.

Source: http://svssubspace.com/?page=Game&id=111374&season=0

There are also a ton of other motivators that have compelled me to get better. Mostly our great albeit sometimes flawed community!

I’d like to thank:

Sven for taking a chance on me a couple seasons ago. I’m still waiting on your Guide to Subspace book. (Hit me up if you need a copy of Gods and Kings.)

Plutorus for believing in me and giving me constant reminders of how far I have come.

Nude for always having the time to listen to me vent, drunkenly ramble, and giving me plenty of playing time.

The rest of the Dropships for being fantastic bunch of classy gents. Except Hallowed, fuck that guy. (I still owe people some games for that Llamas win.)

Hallucination, for challenging me to try and play again when I randomly logged in out of curiosity.

Weasal for creating his awesome program.

Intrinsic for having some fun and interesting ventrilo nights as well as testing my patience. J

The Village Bike for being my hero.

Jocker for being my little Pita. Thanks for letting me know I had potential although we never got to be squaddies.

And Da Monkk for inviting me to Dissent and giving me some of the best advice: “Just press crtl.” It totally works, dude!  

I know I missed a lot of people. Feel free to bitch at me in game.

I almost forgot. Here are some inside jokes.

Dan Quad needs your support.

Five Lives

Four Pitas

chono smash!

What are the rules?

I am from Sweden.

Thanks guys!

-Pryde
Congratulations to all award winners.

Pryde there was this guy going around saying he wanted to offer Steam game keys to achievers ... maybe if you look him up he might give you something.

One of the three most dangerous people in Subspace.
Thanks pryde, glad my program was of use for you. How were these awards determined btw?

Quote:<div>
Thanks pryde, glad my program was of use for you. How were these awards determined btw?

</div>

You should read the first post in this thread Smile  The third sentence.
Lol sleep deprivation and bold text or possibly mild retardation. GL today 7th!

Congratulations to all award winners.

Pryde there was this guy going around saying he wanted to offer Steam game keys to achievers ... maybe if you look him up he might give you something.

</div>
Sadly, I already have all the games he has listed... What a jerk. Oh but he did send me a WiiU .... anyone want to do some mariokart?
mario kart time

Wow, it feels great to be acknowledged like this from my peers. I have a few words, and a couple people I would like to thank.

A few short seasons ago I logged into game after a very long break, and with some motivation from some old friends decided to try 4v4 out again. I was quite pitiful then as my 1200/2100 damage ratio would make abundantly clear. Essentially, I was floating around in a cloaker attempting to vulch kills: ignoring any semblance of team play. However, one day I reached a turning point. I was in a practice partnered up with a couple of folks from a top-tier squad. I thought to myself "this could be a great chance for me to get some recognition and maybe even get invited to their squad." I flew around doing my usual cloak and vulch strategy, hoping i could get a couple kills and show off some moves to get some attention. It did, but in all the wrong ways. Specifically it was really getting on the nerves of this one particular guy. For the remainder of the practice he berated me and insulted me, openly pointing out my flaws and lack of ability to play properly. I tried with all my then skill to do what he pleaded, or to at least get him to be quiet about it. I flew with the team as best as I could, but eventually, I was separated from the group once more. This top-tier pro was done with me. I was swiftly booted from the frequency and replaced. Our team eventually lost and it was consensus that I was the reason. Snide comments as they banned me for the next practice effectively rubbed salt into the wound. I sat there dejected as many players would have felt in my position. I had heard complaints about my ability before, but I'd never been booted from a frequency mid-practice. I could have lashed out, could have quit, could of created an alias and attempt to gain a better reputation with a new name. But instead I decided to soldier on. Although I wouldn't consider myself a great player or even a good player, I think that I've improved to the point that I can hold my own. So thank you, Three. Unbeknownst to you (until now), your words and actions that day have been an essential motivator for me and my subspace playing career. I believe you are one of the main reasons that I have become the passable (hopefully) league player that I am today. It really pains me that players like B-hole  (please come back dude, you are missed) couldn't do something similar. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just saying that having a chip on a shoulder can be a great motivator.

Source: http://svssubspace.com/?page=Game&id=111374&season=0

There are also a ton of other motivators that have compelled me to get better. Mostly our great albeit sometimes flawed community!

I’d like to thank:

Sven for taking a chance on me a couple seasons ago. I’m still waiting on your Guide to Subspace book. (Hit me up if you need a copy of Gods and Kings.)

Plutorus for believing in me and giving me constant reminders of how far I have come.

Nude for always having the time to listen to me vent, drunkenly ramble, and giving me plenty of playing time.

The rest of the Dropships for being fantastic bunch of classy gents. Except Hallowed, fuck that guy. (I still owe people some games for that Llamas win.)

Hallucination, for challenging me to try and play again when I randomly logged in out of curiosity.

Weasal for creating his awesome program.

Intrinsic for having some fun and interesting ventrilo nights as well as testing my patience. J

The Village Bike for being my hero.

Jocker for being my little Pita. Thanks for letting me know I had potential although we never got to be squaddies.

And Da Monkk for inviting me to Dissent and giving me some of the best advice: “Just press crtl.” It totally works, dude!  

I know I missed a lot of people. Feel free to bitch at me in game.

I almost forgot. Here are some inside jokes.

Dan Quad needs your support.

Five Lives

Four Pitas

chono smash!

What are the rules?

I am from Sweden.

Thanks guys!

-Pryde

</div>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k69U-nQvw1A

Smile Glad to see you stuck with it Pryde. Looking forward to seeing you play in pew pew land.

Good season all, was fun. Congrats to Assassins.

Critical Mass returns for season 36. Please update the map with the past two champions.
With no disrespect to Legacy or develop, who are both fine players, I think it would make sense that the regular season mvp or at least the runner up would go to the person who was ranked #1 league stats last quarter of the season leading into playoffs (Devious). I know these things are something of a popularity contest, but even when I have beef with someone I try to be fair when I post something here that purports to be analytical.

HG

With no disrespect to Legacy or develop, who are both fine players, I think it would make sense that the regular season mvp or at least the runner up would go to the person who was ranked #1 league stats last quarter of the season leading into playoffs (Devious). I know these things are something of a popularity contest, but even when I have beef with someone I try to be fair when I post something here that purports to be analytical.

HG

</div>

If they are choosing Legacy as the MVP for the season, I would think that it would make sense the runner-up is the guy who led the league stats overall PLUS won the Pro Bowl. Devious might have finished the season strong, but at the same time he came up short on both aspects overall. MVP is a season long thing, not a last quarter of the season thing.  Just my 2 pennies. 
When the hell have I ever won a popularity contest?

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="High Gain" data-cid="291689" data-time="1407202327">
<div>

HG

</div>

If they are choosing Legacy as the MVP for the season, I would think that it would make sense the runner-up is the guy who led the league stats overall PLUS won the Pro Bowl. Devious might have finished the season strong, but at the same time he came up short on both aspects overall. MVP is a season long thing, not a last quarter of the season thing.  Just my 2 pennies. 

</div>
</blockquote>
Ok would like to update my post a bit. I was looking at season + playoff combined. I now realize it says Regular Season only... at the same time I wasn't trying to take anything away from Devious, I was simply saying develop SHOULD be on the list of 2, not that Devious SHOULDN'T be on it. HG said Dev should be runner-up that would mean develop would be knocked and I was stating that develop should be on that list. Again, that was looking at playoffs as well as regular season though, so maybe the list should be very different.

Here is a link to the regular season standings http://screencast.com/t/WWd1b8csA5KA 

The ones you can see now include playoff stats, and since I came in half way through the year I was really making a more generalized comment than a factual one. To me it would make season the season+playoff stat leader who also won PRO be on the list. Since it however is only regular season and I think assassins didn't finish first did they? Then maybe the list should include Devious. Dunno for sure.
Legacy was 34-11 and his team went 8-0 with him in the game. Also had 10 assists and 40 FR.

Devious 16-4 and his team 5-2 with him in.

I don't think it has anything to do with popularity. And, as said already, this was REGULAR season only. The awards are similar to those in NBA. Kevin Durant was MVP, but didn't even reach the finals.

The + points that robot gives aren't really the best measure, but I'm sure you can figure out who the best was by comparing their stats and not just watching the main page.

So if you look deeper, you will see that Legacy went 7-2 vs CM, 4-1 vs Ass and 6-1 vs EGO, while Devious' best games are 4-0 vs SFE, 3-0 vs BA and 5-0 vs Beastfu. I am not trying to take anything away from Devious, he had a great season and later made the finals. But, this is the big picture.

none of this matters but lets be more accurate at least. REGULAR season stats between legacy and devious are:

Legacy   34-11   10 assists and 40 FR.  His team went 8-0 with him in.

Devious  20-5     14 assists and 30 FR.  His team went 7-2 with him in.

Also, when you say "best games" and put beastfu and sfe it has no clout.  Obviously going 1/3 against assassins is better than 5-0 against beastfu.

I would argue both players best games are: 

Legacy   CM 7-2   DS 5/2  ASS 4/1   BA 2/1

Devious  BA  2-0  BA  3/1  BA   3-0  TD 2/1

I agree that Legacy had a better overall stat picture and should be MVP. Congrats - lets have many more great seasons.
Sry, but no. CM went 5-2 with Devious in, not 7-2.

W vs Beastfu   Devious 5/0

W vs Dropships       --> 0/0

L vs The Dark          --> 2/1

W vs Backarrow       --> 3/0

W vs SFE                 --> 4/0

L vs Outlaws            --> 1/3

W vs Ego                 --> 0/0 (no-show)

So, actually 4-2.

Yes, you are right. Its because half of the seasons stats was playoffs it was confusing. 

Maybe in the future the regular season awards should be done before playoffs start (if possible, I know time is always an issue). This would take away a lot of the confusion of playoff stats ending up in the mix at the end.

Just comparing stats seems so uninformative.  This isn't a triple crown type of thing where you need to lead categories.  MVP should be the value of the player to the team.  Granted, valuable players normally will have good stats because that's the nature of things, but stats shouldn't paint the entire picture.  Furthermore, in other sports stats are static.  If you hit a home run in the 9th inning of a baseball game during a blow out, it's in a losing effort maybe but the feat is still just as difficult.  Kills, assists, and FR's in Subspace tend to get easier as the game draws nearer to the end.  Without knowing where those kills came, let's just say that out of Legacy's 34 kills, 17 came in a 4v3 or better situation.  Is that weighed differently than develop's kills if the majority of his came 4v4?  Again, I have no idea how or when they were registered, I'm simply going by someone giving Legacy's K/D on this thread and using it as an example.

Also, what about things like ddpm, bomb/bullet accuracy%, or negative stats like WR, WRkt, and TK?  If someone is the play maker of their team and doing 2500ddpm with 55% bomb accuracy but goes 33-17 in a season, are they more valuable to their team than someone that does 1200ddpm with 26% bomb accuracy but goes 36-9?

The bots here track so much information that only bringing up K/D/A and W/L seems to be such a waste.

Just comparing stats seems so uninformative.  This isn't a triple crown type of thing where you need to lead categories.  MVP should be the value of the player to the team.  Granted, valuable players normally will have good stats because that's the nature of things, but stats shouldn't paint the entire picture.  Furthermore, in other sports stats are static.  If you hit a home run in the 9th inning of a baseball game during a blow out, it's in a losing effort maybe but the feat is still just as difficult.  Kills, assists, and FR's in Subspace tend to get easier as the game draws nearer to the end.  Without knowing where those kills came, let's just say that out of Legacy's 34 kills, 17 came in a 4v3 or better situation.  Is that weighed differently than develop's kills if the majority of his came 4v4?  Again, I have no idea how or when they were registered, I'm simply going by someone giving Legacy's K/D on this thread and using it as an example.

Also, what about things like ddpm, bomb/bullet accuracy%, or negative stats like WR, WRkt, and TK?  If someone is the play maker of their team and doing 2500ddpm with 55% bomb accuracy but goes 33-17 in a season, are they more valuable to their team than someone that does 1200ddpm with 26% bomb accuracy but goes 36-9?

The bots here track so much information that only bringing up K/D/A and W/L seems to be such a waste.

</div>
Did you even read the thread?