Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3v3 Draft League
Hello

Below is an outline of general information and rules about the weeknight 3v3 draft league. If you have any questions please let me know so I can address them or we can discuss.

Draft Captains

A draft captain can be anyone from the draft pool. It’s your responsibility as a draft captain to communicate with your team, form a rapport and organize any appearances you deem useful (such as practices).

Suggestions: Start an in-game chat, form a discord voice channel, send dick pics.

Draft Pool

The draft pool is split into 4 tiers. These tiers are the result of aggregated pilot rankings which have been completed by a multitude of players. Tier 1 players are considered top players as voted on by their peers - with Tiers 2, 3 and 4 being “great”, “good” and "decent" players respectively.

After the draft season concludes, another pilot ranking stream will take place to re-evaluate the draft pool based on each player’s performance. You can earn your spot as a higher tier player, or drop in tiers if you perform poorly.

General draft signup here: https://goo.gl/forms/78xXxR56wTiJJv3A2

Draft Rules

Teams will consist of 4 players each. As a draft captain, you cannot draft a player from your same tier. Each team must consist of a tier 1, 2, 3, and 4 player. This will ensure skill parity is maintained among teams.

Example: Example: If you’re a captain and a tier 1 player, you can only pick a tier 2, 3 or 4 player.

The Draft

The draft will take place Thursday (09/20) at 8:00pm EST. Draft captains will already be identified and informed of the draft process. The scheduled event will unfold as follows in EST timezone:

8:00 - 8:10
Dice will be rolled for each draft captain to determine their draft order

8:10 - 9:10 (or longer)
Draft captains will select their teams (3 draft cycles)

9:10 - 9:20
Draft teams will be entered into a schedule generator to identify the season schedule, and who each team plays first!

How Will Games be Played?

Teams will play 2 matches a week. You have from 12:00AM EST Sunday -TO THE FOLLOWING- 12:00AM EST Sunday to play both matches. A season-long schedule will be released prior to the season starting outlining who plays who and what week they will play.

It will be up to the teams to communicate with their opponent what day and time they would like to play. USE DISCORD to discuss scheduling matches.

The 3v3 practice bots will be used. So starting the matches will not rely on an Op to call the matches or set them up in the bot. It falls on the teams to handle it themselves.

When your match concludes, the winning team must submit results here: https://goo.gl/forms/Xo5gTovZheID2cnB2

Fullsubs and Non-team Subs

One fullsub is allowed. Since we're using the practice bots, the player can just unspec and ship change to their desired ship. Any attempt to abuse this will be captured in the game log and dealt with accordingly.

If a team is at risk of a no-show (can’t field 3) then they can choose a NTS (non-team sub) that is the same tier as the missing player(s). However, this can only occur if the opposing team agrees.

Map, Settings, Etc

Stays the same as 4v4. We can evaluate after this season to see what changes can be made.
Please see the updated section: "How Will Games be Played?"

We have changed the format away from one night a week.
Draft will take place on Thursday (09/20) at 8:00pm EST

It will be streamed at: https://www.twitch.tv/ozn_ss -or- https://www.twitch.tv/bettysueyo

The only thing that may change regarding this 3v3 league is if we don't have enough captains I will be rolling dice to make teams. As stated before, all teams will consist of a tier 1, 2 and 3 player.
Very much like the idea of draft league as well as the open weekday scheduling (prob something we needed years ago in league), but I'm concerned how well this will work with a mixture of east coast, west coast and euro pilots. this do-able during the week? should people list when they can play when they sign up?

for instance, as a "euro" i'm willing to play b/w 2-6p and 12-3a EST -- but I'm guessing these times probably don't work for many. thoughts?
(09-17-2018, 08:08 PM)Benji Wrote:  Very much like the idea of draft league as well as the open weekday scheduling (prob something we needed years ago in league), but I'm concerned how well this will work with a mixture of east coast, west coast and euro pilots.  this do-able during the week?  should people list when they can play when they sign up?

for instance, as a "euro" i'm willing to play b/w 2-6p and 12-3a EST -- but I'm guessing these times probably don't work for many.  thoughts?

I think you (and other euros that fit those time slots) will be fine. We have a ton of west coast US players that play until 3AM EST on weeknights. Additionally, your 2-6pm slot works for Saturday and Sunday as well. 

It's incumbent on the draft captains to identify where they remain in the draft order, who they could potentially pick next, and discuss with the player timezones and playtime. Worst case scenario your schedules dont always align and you get a NTS from the same tier to fill in.
(09-18-2018, 01:20 PM)Ozn Wrote:  
(09-17-2018, 08:08 PM)Benji Wrote:  Very much like the idea of draft league as well as the open weekday scheduling (prob something we needed years ago in league), but I'm concerned how well this will work with a mixture of east coast, west coast and euro pilots.  this do-able during the week?  should people list when they can play when they sign up?

for instance, as a "euro" i'm willing to play b/w 2-6p and 12-3a EST -- but I'm guessing these times probably don't work for many.  thoughts?

I think you (and other euros that fit those time slots) will be fine. We have a ton of west coast US players that play until 3AM EST on weeknights. Additionally, your 2-6pm slot works for Saturday and Sunday as well. 

It's incumbent on the draft captains to identify where they remain in the draft order, who they could potentially pick next, and discuss with the player timezones and playtime. Worst case scenario your schedules dont always align and you get a NTS from the same tier to fill in.

I'm in there somewhere too. Very much a wasted pick, unless we mostly play around noon-6pm EST on saturdays or pre-post 4v4 games Smile
Weekdays.. well, at least for now my shifts at work move around by several hours and waking up to play isn't optimal anyway Tongue
Heads up to everyone that the draft takes place at 8pm EST tomorrow. It will be streamed on Twitch.

All information about the league including the draft pool can be found here: http://3v3fornerds.surge.sh/
Today is Draft day. We will be starting the activities at 8:00pm EST - although we probably won't start drafting players right away. Captains need to be present to select their teams. Stream will be broadcast at: http://www.twitch.tv/ozn_ss

Please note a BIG change: Team size is growing from 3 players to 4 (but it's still 3v3 league). Each team will consist of a tier 1, 2, 3 and 4 player. This is due to lack of genuine interest in people being captains. I don't want to pressure anyone to be a captain who won't take it seriously. Additionally, there has been a lot of apprehension about people feeling obligated to show up for every match. So hopefully this solves for a lot of those issues, and we won't have to rely on NTS as much.

This puts us at 9 teams.

How does increase in team size affect the rules? Well, the big question on people's minds will be "Can I use a fullsub?". The answer is....yes. You will be allowed 1 fullsub. This will enable all 4 players to get playtime.
Hey guys. Big FYI for me. I just found out that my expected shift change has been postponed. I'm currently unable to make weeknight except Friday. That was supposed to change monday but it's been delayed. Don't draft me or set me up as a tier 4 alt please. Sorry.

Alternatively, I can make early afternoon times.
Dear lord. I was watching the VOD of the trainwreck of a draft. Captains showing up late or not at all, bick and dre being bick and dre, cfk surprised that SS players manage to suck the fun out of things. Never change, SubSpace, never change.
At least Ozn got to experience a brief glimpse of attempting to run events or leagues with the population we have ;P
(09-21-2018, 07:00 AM)Caerbannog Wrote:  Dear lord. I was watching the VOD of the trainwreck of a draft. Captains showing up late or not at all, bick and dre being bick and dre, cfk surprised that SS players manage to suck the fun out of things. Never change, SubSpace, never change.
At least Ozn got to experience a brief glimpse of attempting to run events or leagues with the population we have ;P

Not a trainwreck, just the same couple people having a hard time functioning as people. I was in communication with captains that were running late or who couldn't make it. The lesson learned was we will have the draft later in the night so there's no need for Mid and West coast people to rush home from work.

We were able to get all teams built and the skill parity across teams looks pretty good. So I think it worked pretty well.
(09-21-2018, 02:19 PM)Ozn Wrote:  
(09-21-2018, 07:00 AM)Caerbannog Wrote:  Dear lord. I was watching the VOD of the trainwreck of a draft. Captains showing up late or not at all, bick and dre being bick and dre, cfk surprised that SS players manage to suck the fun out of things. Never change, SubSpace, never change.

Not a trainwreck, just the same couple people having a hard time functioning as people. I was in communication with captains that were running late or who couldn't make it. The lesson learned was we will have the draft later in the night so there's no need for Mid and West coast people to rush home from work.

We were able to get all teams built and the skill parity across teams looks pretty good. So I think it worked pretty well.

Agreed. Given it's a first run hopefully future iterations will make improvements and on the whole it's a great initiative - here's hoping it goes well!
I'm bummed out you decided to drop me. I was hoping to use this as a springboard to getting back into league play. I figured 3v3 is less of a learning curve than 4v4 for a ridiculously rusty old player.

I've been meaning to get back into subspace for about 3 or 4 seasons after a decade or so off but it's so difficult to get back in. Youre either a seasoned vet or not worth playing with in this game. You sit and wait in spec for hours then at the end of the night you finally get a chance to play then everyone else specs because they don't feel the practice is worthy of their time. This game is dying hardcore but literally no one puts the time in to keep it from circling further and further down the drain.